Preparing for the Candidate Exam on «Fundamentals of IT»
Please note the following requirements for the research paper:
1. A Title Page with:
– The University title and the Department title
– The paper title
– The name of the author
– The professor's name (reviewer)
– Registration and admission to the exam
– Year and location of the paper completion
2. A Table of Contents with:
– Subheadings that appear in the text
– Page number of these headings
3. A Research Paper with:
a) An Introduction. An introduction should contain:
– Justification of the relevance of the paper topic;
– Aim and Objectives;
– Subject and Object definition;
– Description of the methods and means used.
b) A Body. Body should be divided into Sections and Subsections
c) A Conclusion or Summary. In this section, it is necessary to analyze briefly the research done and to formulate conclusions, recommendations and generalizations.
d) A Reference or Bibliography (at least 7 cited sources)
e) An Appendix with the data used to illustrate the research results or other information not cited in the text.
Requirements for producing the final printed work:
The text needs to be 25-28 pages long (the title page, outline and works cited are not included in the total number of pages)
Margins: top – 2, left – 2.5cm, bottom – 2 cm, right – 1.5 cm; 14 point font, Times New Roman; 1.5 spaced lines; Sections and subsections divided by one blank line; no blank lines between paragraphs in the same section; references should be enclosed in square brackets indicating the source number; number all pages except the Title Page
Grading: This paper will be graded on content, style, grammar, writing ability, and accuracy of research. Remember that the content of the paper must be relevant to the information technology area. If the content of the paper has a poor quality, the final grade of the paper will be lower.
The Presentation of the Research Paper
1. A Title Page
– The paper title
– The name of the author
2. A Table of Contents with navigation system.
3. A Body divided on sections according to the presentation structure (25-28 slides).
4. Animation elements, audio and video files.
5. Internet References on the topic of your presentation with hyperlinks.
6. The last slide of the presentation should contain small resume of the author with his/her photo.
1. Concepts of Information and Information Technology
2. Computer Organization. Processing components. Primary storage. Peripherals.
3. Data representation. Binary system. Units of measurement. Coding systems. Graphic and Multimedia data.
4. Information System Concepts. Types of Information Systems
5. Systems Software. Operating systems. Utilities. User interfaces
6. Application Software.
7. Databases. Levels of hierarchy. Database models. Data mining/analytics
8. Computer graphics basics. Color Models. Graphic file formats
9. The concept of vector graphics. Processing methods.
10. Raster graphics. Image Processing
11. Three-dimensional computer graphics. 3D Modeling.
12. Computer animation. 2D and 3D animation.
13. Using computer graphics in deferent spheres of human activity
14. History of computer Graphics
15. Networks. Network access. Network architectures.
16. Data communications. Infrastructure. Protocol.
17. Safety and security. Antivirus software.
18. Software Licensing. Shareware, freeware, enterprise, open source, software as a service. Digital signature
19. History of the computer development. Computer classification.
20. Word processing and desktop publishing.
22. Presentation software
24. Computer animation. 2D and 3D animation.
25. Basics of Web Design. Website builders.
26. Internet resources. Access to Internet resources. Navigating the Internet.
27. Audio Processing. Audio editors.
28. Computer music. Music production software.
29. Musical sound effects (reverb, delay, vibrato, flanger, vocoder, etc.) Analog and digital sound processing.
30. Microsoft Access: creating database. Tables and relationships. Data integrity.
31. Microsoft Access: mining data in tables. Design a database query. Query types.
32. World Value Survey Database. Tools of on-line analysis. Design a database queries.
33. Using MS Excel for statistical analysis.
34. Internet resources for culture and art.
35. Information system. Types of information system. Computer information system.
36. Information technology: using in culture.
37. Information technology: using in education
38. Internet services: e-mail, WWW, teleconference service, etc.
39. Cloud technologies. Using CT in culture
40. Communications access methods. Addressing scheme in the Internet.
Some additional questions
1. What is the minimum element of information?
2. What is 1 byte?
3. Give examples of different data types.
4. How many different numbers can be encoded in one byte?
5. Give an example of multimedia information.
6. What Internet sources for making cultural research do you know?
7. What types of information technology are used in culture?
8. What types of information technology are used in education?
9. What types of information technology are used in scientific research?
10. Provide examples of Internet resources in culture.
11. What is multimedia?
12. What kind of device is printer?
13. Give examples of system software.
14. Give examples of application software.
15. Give examples of software tool.
16. How do you protect your personal information?
17. Give examples of antivirus programs.
18. Give examples of Software Licensing in China.
19. What is the digital signature?
20. What are the main technical characteristics of your computer (how many cores in the processor, the amount of RAM, the screen resolution, and others).
21. What are the main input devices?
22. What are the main output devices?
23. What type of network is the internet considered to be?
24. What is a server?
25. What types of software does Android include?
26. What type of software is the scanner?
27. What type of software is Photoshop?
28. What type of software is Word?
29. Give an example of text input device?
30. What types of diagrams do you know?
31. What is a hyperlink?
32. What is the minimum element of raster graphics?
33. What are the programs for vector graphics?
34. What is fractal graphics?
35. Give an example of a geometric fractal.
36. What is the minimum element of vector graphics?
37. What are raster graphics programs?
38. What is 2d- and 3d-animation software?
39. What website builders do you know?
40. Give examples of sites in the sphere of culture.
41. What music production software do you know?
42. What music processing software do you know?
43. What sound file formats do you know?
44. What multimedia file formats do you know?
45. What electronic dictionaries do you use?
46. What archivers do you know?
47. What type of network is the university computer network?
48. What search systems do you know?
49. What Internet services do you use in your professional activities?
50. What raster graphics file formats do you know?
51 What vector graphics file formats do you know?